Thursday, November 5, 2015

Reject

I love to sing.  Singing connects me to God, allows me to pretend that I will be a backup singer for Tina Turner someday, and is a never-ending source of joy.

In fifth grade, my teacher, Mrs. Pfau, told me: "do yourself a favor and never sing aloud."

It stung.  It silenced me.  For years, I never sang where others could hear me (although NO ONE could stop my in-car solos!)  Whenever I was tempted to sing in front of others, the voices of self-doubt sang loudly in my heart.  But with the coaxing of my roommate in college, I finally started singing again.

I have been singing ever since.  In no way am I implying that I am a good singer, but I sure enjoy it.  I have sung on a TON of worship teams, sung at weddings and funerals, done plenty of solos, and relish the times that my husband and I sing together.

Last week, my husband, our daughter, and I auditioned for the worship team at the church we have been attending.  It is SO vulnerable to audition for strangers, especially because I can still hear the words of Mrs. Pfau in my ears...

"Do yourself a favor and never sing aloud."

We finally heard from the worship pastor yesterday.  My husband and daughter were chosen, but I was not.  Ouch.  I tried to pretend that it was not a blow to my pride.  I am truly happy for them, but truly wounded for me.  I have actually shed tears over it.  HOW EMBARRASSING!

"Do yourself a favor and never sing aloud."

The question is: am I going to let the rejection silence me?  Will I be able to sing aloud again and not think of my disappointment and shame?

Time will tell...

Amberly

1 comment:

Crystal Hodges said...

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't make it!! You have a beautiful voice! (And I don't say that just because I'm your friend. Promise.) Don't let this disappointment stop you from using your gift. I could be wrong, but...Down the road, I don't think your biggest regret would be that you tried out and didn't make it. It stings, yes. There's no question about that, and it's okay to shed some tears. But, I think that your biggest regret would be that you let the experience silence you. (I told you my tambourine story - but I never told you my singing story...That's a whole other can of worms that I don't typically dive into. But, that being said, I as a car singer only...I speak from personal experience!)