Sunday, October 27, 2013

Action Figure

I am a Martha.  In the Bible, Martha is the DOer.  And a TALKer.

Luke 10 articulates the story for which she is best known:
"38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, 'Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!'
41 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.'”

He even says her name twice in a row (an "honor" Jesus employs only thrice in the New Testament).

I can relate to her.  I am a TASKer.  A DOer.  I get caught up in activity and miss the point.  All the time.  I miss out on time with my kids.  I miss playing games or great discussions or ministry opportunities because I am busy.  Three jobs.  Two kids.  One house.  Ministry. Going to the gym.  Cooking. Cleaning. Writing.  Preparing.  Grading papers.

Today, at church we talked about Mary and Martha again, but this time, Martha's activity and words worked to her advantage.

John 11:20-28

"20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home. 21 'Lord,' Martha said to Jesus, 'if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.' 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha answered, 'I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' 25 Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?' 27 'Yes, Lord,' she replied, 'I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.' 28 After she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. 'The Teacher is here,' she said, 'and is asking for you.' 29 When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him.

While her sister sat at home (not doubt feeling defeated), Miss DOer went out to meet Jesus.  In addition, she articulates faith greater than most of the disciples display.  

On some level, she finds redemption here.  In her tragedy, she uses her actions and words to bring honor to God.

Martha shows me that there is hope for the DOer.  

Have a great week!

Amberly

No comments: