Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Promises, Promises

Well, it happened again.

My husband went for a job interview only to discover that the position was no longer available.

Six months without substantial employment has proved tiresome.  Yes, he has gone on a ton of interviews (most for which he is HIGHLY over-educated and over-qualified), and yet, nada.  Zilch.  Goose egg. Squat.

I know God has a plan (Proverbs 19:21) to prosper us (Jeremiah 29:11-13) for us to do good works (Ephesians 2:10).  I know all the verses, but I am having a hard time waiting for God in this season.  In other words, I have a serious WAIT problem.

In my quiet time the other day, I was reminded of the story of Abraham.  He had a WAIT problem, too.  He waited for a child.  He waited for protection.  He waited for God to provide.  But he did not do it very well.  He circumvented God's plan for a child by sleeping with his wife's maidservant.  He provided his own "plan B" by lying and saying that Sarai was only his sister.  

In Genesis 22:17, God promises Abraham something amazing.  God shows Abraham the stars.  He gives him a vision for his future: "I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies..."

The kicker is: it took 23 years for Abraham's future generation to be born.  In God's perfect timing, Isaac was born to old parents.  23 years.  That is the same number of years Scott and I have been married.  WOWZERS!

But it made them stronger in the process.  When God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac over a decade later, Abraham got up "early in the morning" to obey God (Genesis 22:3).

I want to be stronger.   I want to have faith that merits putting me on a list of the faithful (Hebrews 11).  I want to be so eager to do God's work that I get up "early in the morning" to do it.  Even if it means more job interviews for my husband.

Would you please pray for my husband as he searches for the right job?    Thank you!

How can I pray for you?!?!  Do you have a WAIT problem as well?

Maybe we should look up at the starts periodically and remind ourselves of the perfect timing of God.

Blessings on your week!
Amberly

No comments: