Monday, February 1, 2016

I Do Not Want To Build A Snowman

I love snow.  I love the majesty of it.  I love how it makes everything look idyllic, almost magical.  I love the fact that I had to buy snow boots to traverse through it (any excuse to get new shoes works for me).

This is the view from my office this morning:



The snow is beautiful; it covers everything, including the path from my door at home to the front mat of my office door.

But it is also dangerous.  The very same substance that makes my front yard look like Narnia also contributes to the demise of people and vehicles.  Although usually not directly, people die in traffic accidents on icy roads, have heart attacks whilst shoveling snow, and can die from hypothermia from prolonged exposure (National Severe Storms Laboratory, 2016).

This provides an interesting juxtaposition.  The same mixture of precipitation and low temperature that kids build snowmen in can literally kill them.

When I am walking through the powdery glitter, I can hardly wrap my brain around the fact that it has the power to hurt me.

Similarly, I sometimes struggle when it comes to grasping both the beauty of God and His power.

I am so acquainted and comfortable with His love, grace, kindness, forgiveness, and goodness that sometimes I forget to fear His might.

The Psalmist somehow found a balance and decided to celebrate God for ALL the facets of His awesomeness: "But I will sing of your strength in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely." (Psalm 59:16 and 17)

I celebrate God through loving others, loving myself, enjoying His creations, singing His praises, entrusting Him with my concerns, and finding joy in the every day.

I am now going to leave the office and celebrate Him by playing in the snow He blanketed my front driveway with this morning.

Amberly

P.S. Those of you who follow me through blogspot, please feel free to follow me through my website, www.amberlyneese.com.  You can sign up through the RSS feed.

No comments: