Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Dare to Not Compare

Image result for images about comparison

This morning, in staff meeting, we had a local pastor revisit a story I had heard/ read a thousand times.  A thousand.  Okay, maybe 200 hundred, but nonetheless, I learned something new.

We were reading from Luke 10: "38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, 'Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!'
41 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.'"
I have always known I am a Martha.  And not in the good "I am a lot like a character in the Bible" good.  
I love being busy.  It makes me (falsely) feel purposeful.
I (sadly) do not mind pointing out when I am working hard and others aren't or when things do not seem fair.  It makes me (falsely) feel important.
But this morning, I recognized that Martha also compared herself to her sister.  I compare myself ALL the TIME to others.  On Facebook.  In Christmas cards.  On Instagram.  Even in church. I try to (falsely) find satisfaction in doing better than others whilst being crushed when I fall short, which is every time.  Every time.
Jesus called Mary out on it in verses 41 and 42 and He called me out on it this morning.
Ouch.
Will you join me in giving up comparison for Lent?  Or for Wednesday?  Or just for this moment?
Let's choose the "better" together.
Amberly