Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Scales off my eyes (or the other way around)

Recently, I saw one of my old students at a track meet.  He was on his way to a wrestling match and had all that he needed to be successful: a bag of gear, ample water, and his weight (in Sharpie) on his arm.

Wow, no wonder I never became a wrestler.

I cannot fathom writing my weight on my arm.  Not now.  Not ever.

I feel judged enough about my weight all the time.  Mostly, by me.  When I have to enter my weight on the treadmill at the gym, you would think I was entering the PIN numbers to Warren Buffet's personal bank account with all the security I employ:  cupped hands, sideways glances, and ninja swiftness.

Numbers do not define me.  My value is not limited to digits.  I am more than three simple numerals.

And yet, I cringe at the thought of others knowing that information.

"But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”" - 1 Samuel 16:7

Lord, give me your eyes today to see me the way you do.  Not the way the scale does. 

Amberly


No comments: