Friday, March 11, 2016

oLIMPic Athlete

Well, I really did it this time.  I hurt my knee.

Between activity at camp, FitBit challenges, training for a 15K, and not listening to my body when it communicated pain, I tore a ligament in my knee.

At this point, I am an oLIMPian.  I feel broken.

The orthopedist was honest with me.  He suggested that I should give up running completely and find another sport.  Ouch. His words hurt more than my knee does.

It is not that I LOVE running.  However, jogging (or wogging = walk + jogging) has become a normal part of my daily routine as I attempt to keep my body healthy.

The interesting thing is that at the same time I got injured, one of my interns did as well.  He was playing basketball and sprained his ankle.  His foot has turned colors I thought impossible.  Yuck.

But being injured at the same time has meant that someone else "understands" our plight.  We are the first to ask each other about the injured area, to have compassion, and to hobble slowly together.  It is true empathy.

Paul in his second letter to the church in Corinth communicated this type of empathy and how God can use it: "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

We were made for connection through pain.  

Which is weird, but strangely comforting.

Somehow, God is going to provide comfort and then will ask me to extend that comfort to others who need it.

It will truly be my weakness that can display God's power to comfort others through me, in me, around me, and despite me.

Are you ready to be used by God - even if it means some discomfort?

Amberly


2 comments:

Mary Lou Caskey said...

Great word! Thanks so much.

Amanda said...

This is so applicable right now <3