Sunday, April 29, 2012

Joy Party

I love parties.

Recently, we were invited to a gala/ birthday party/ benefit in Hollywood.  It was hosted by a friend from high school and he is in the entertainment business.  His guests included: Tony award winners, Emmy award winning actors, performers, producers, directors, Hugh Hefnerites, recording artists, and two dorky Bakersfield yahoos.

It was so fun to dress up.  It was so fun to stand next to my very handsome husband in his tux.  It was great to celebrate my high school friend, see others from my past, and rub shoulders with the elite.  However, I have NEVER been so thankful to take off shoes in all my born days!

Hanging around stars does not make me a celebrity.  Wearing fancy clothes does not make me a Tony award winner.  Wearing beautiful, albeit crippling, shoes does not give me a Hollywood address.

Such connections are moot, but sharing company with the joyful CAN, however, increase one's joy.

Are you feeling empty?  Deflated?  Even a little sad?

I highly recommend group therapy.  Not necessarily the kind with a professional facilitator (although that may help), but instead, surrounding oneself with a support system. Not people who will allow you to wallow in self-pity by bashing others or gossiping, but instead, find others who have joy grounded in Christ and ask for some help.

If we are going to take "Joy to Go", we need to seek the face of God and ask for support from others.  It may not be easy or comfortable, but it will be well worth the journey.

And fortunately, it does not have to include uncomfortable shoes.

Walk on,

Amberly


No comments: