Monday, April 9, 2012

It's All About the BLING

Well, I successfully completed my first half marathon on Saturday. I walked 13.1 miles through hills, past three Starbucks, with people attempting to break world records, around photographers, and alongside six Elvi (that is the plural of Elvis), and all under 3 and a half hours. I kept apologizing to my walking partner, Debbie when I lost the desire to jog about an hour in. My body is not used to running downhill; my shins, back, and feet were already beginning to tire. She kept reminding me that the goal was just to finish. And finish we did. We crossed the finish line. Our names were announced over the loudspeaker and we received our HUGE rewards. They were rap-star sized star medals that might need to be filed as deadly weapons in certain circles. It was fatigue intermingled with elation. My family, who wrote encouraging notes for me to read while on the 13.1 miles, greeted me at the door with squeals and cheers. But when they saw the medal, they gasped. It was fun to put it on and relive the moment of receiving it over again. I admit it. I am shallow. I love rewards. I loved sticker charts as a kid. I love pay bonuses for a job well done. I love thank you notes and hugs. I love celebration dinners (too much, thus the need to start training for a half marathon!). I thought it so perfect that the next day was Easter. What a perfect juxtaposition! Jesus "ran" the ultimate race on our behalf. His only rewards were to fulfill the will of God and reconcile un unholy people to a holy God. But that was enough for Him. No bling. No medal. No awards ceremony. I want to be more like Jesus. I want to be motivated not by the temporary reward but instead by the desire to do the will of God which is eternal. "Therefore, since we have been surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race set our before us and let us keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith. For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of God." - Hebrews 12:1 and 2 Happy running! Amberly

No comments: