Monday, April 30, 2012

Thanks A LOT

On Sunday, a group of friends and I packed about 50 lunches and headed downtown to find homeless people.

We stopped at the first place and, sadly, found ourselves disappointed that we ran out of people before we ran out of lunches (the irony was not lost on us!).  People seemed genuinely thankful, though.

We stopped at various parks, with limited success.

We finally drove down streets and stopped people to ask if they needed a lunch.  When we had only a few lunches left, I saw a man sitting on the curb with his head between his knees.  I stopped and asked if he needed a lunch.  He seemed really pleased.  When I turned back around from the car with his lunch, there were four more people who had heard my question.  I did not see them before.  I only had one bag left, so I grabbed it.  My friend Megin grabbed some water and carrots and followed me.

One of the men grew belligerent.  He discovered that I did not have enough lunches for him.  He said, "You got me all excited and then you don't have anything (although he took water). I want to cry.  God bless you FOR NOTHING."   He even refused the offer of a package of carrots.

We left deflated.  We left disappointed.  And frankly, I was a little mad.

I was frustrated by the audacity of that man.  He brought us NOTHING.  He deserved NOTHING.  He got a bottle of water.  He threw a tantrum and refused that which we had to offer, albeit small.

I have done the same thing with God.  I have thrown a "tantrum" when I do not get that which I think I "deserve" or should get.  I bring NOTHING to the table, yet have the audacity to turn up my nose to the things God graciously offers.  He provides everything and lovingly shares that which I need.

Ouch.

If I am to have Joy to Go, I best be thankful for everything I am given and even the things I am not...

Beggars can't be choosers.  But by God's grace, they can come to the Banquet in Glory anyway.

Amberly




No comments: