Monday, July 8, 2013

Drivin' Me Crazy



We are 4 hours into a 12 hour drive across Arizona, New Mexico, and parts of Texas.

It sounded great on paper to make such a drive – but then again, Communism sounds good on paper…

Already we have made a bathroom stop, played referee to stop a backseat brawl, realized what we forgot to pack, and listened to 40 hits from the 80’s.  We also thanked God for the wind; it made the morning drive much cooler.

That being said, I know that wind is not a blessing for everyone.  It surely cost the lives of 19 brave firefighters in Yarnell, Arizona last Sunday.  It messes up hair, changes golf scores, and takes boats off course.  I have even seen a marked difference in behavior in my classroom when the wind is blowing; the tumult in the air causes a tumult in their behavior.

Wind is a mixed bag (a windbag, as it were).  Jesus calmed it for the disciples, God spoke through it to one of His own, and it is often used as one of the adjectives for the Holy Spirit.  That same wind scared Peter and caused him to take his eyes off of Jesus.

As I write, I can see wind stir up the sediment on the desert floor of New Mexico. 
 
It behooves me to think: When God’s stirs me, do I acquiesce and blow like that dust or do I take my eyes off Him?

Most of the time, I blow it (all puns intended) and try and “understand” it all instead of trusting in His love, His care, and His movement in my life.

As the great philosopher / band Kansas once said, “All we are is dust in the wind.”  

Just a thought... now back to the 80's music.

Amberly

No comments: