Monday, September 21, 2015

IN YOUR FACEbook

I love Facebook.

I love viewing baby pictures and honor roll awards and wedding reception photos.  I love seeing job promotions, praises about God's provision in the life of another, and updates about people for whom I care.

I hate, however, how I feel sometimes after a stint on Facebook.  Not just because some of my more politically charged friends can offend others faster than a speeding bullet (although that is disheartening).  It is because I am envious.

I envy the perfect life of those on Facebook.

I am thrilled your kids has gotten straight A's since conception.  Mine haven't.

I am pleased that you have lost a million pounds and don't struggle to eat bread every day.  I can't say that.

I am excited that you have a great church home with no drama and a thriving ministry.  I don't.

I am glad that you LOVE cleaning house.  Not me.

I am glad that you can see friends from high school without shuttering at the poor choices you made back then.  I can't.

I am glad you get invited to tons of soirees with friends in exotic locations.  We don't.

I am glad your spouse makes bazillions of dollars working part-time and still has time to coach all the Little League teams for all 12 of your offspring.  Mine doesn't.

We are normal.  We are broken.  We are imperfect.  We make mistakes all the time.  We need Jesus.  In a BIG way.

I once heard someone use these films terms to drive home a point, "Never compare your 'dailies' to the 'highlight reels' of others".

I need to remember that.  Maybe you do, too...

Amberly


1 comment:

Crystal Hodges said...

Just the other day I was talking on Facebook with one of my new friends. She's a speaker and writer, trying to get out there more - just like me. I always see the stuff she posts and I constantly find myself thinking, "Wow. What is she doing that I'm not? She gets out there way more than I have! Look at those connections that she has." Yet, when we were talking, she told me, "You have a LOT more going than I do, and you have a lot more connections to help you along the way. Connections in this business is everything." Her comment made me pause before I responded. Turns out, we had BOTH been comparing ourselves to each other by what we post on Facebook. It's crazy to think that you may be thinking something about someone...Yet, they may be thinking the exact same thing about you. Social media...What a funny thing.