Wednesday, September 30, 2015

the Popular Table

I was mildly popular in high school.

Drama kid, did track, cheerleader, mascot, student council, president of the Spanish National Honor Society, soccer player, and worked almost full-time.

But I was never at the popular table.  Every school has one and every school has kids who sit at them - and kids who wish they could.

But high school was a LONG time ago, and I should be "past" such things.  I should be spiritually mature enough not to care.  But I still do.

Our camp hired a new staff member.  He is young, hip, creative, funny (moreso than I), and to top it off, he is genuinely likeable.  Seriously awesome.

At first, I thought I was at the popular table at work.  But not anymore.  I am not asked to be part of new committees, focus groups (maybe because I can't focus), nor any cutting-edge projects.  We are not invited to dinner or out for events.

But I will tell you which table I DO sit at.  It is the wisdom table.  After almost 25 years of ministry experience, I have a few insights about what to do and what not to do.

I also sit at the prayer table.  I am so honored to pray for the staff every day.  I love these people (though most are young enough to be my kids).  I truly love them.  It is an honor to talk to God about each of them.

I don't need to sit at the popular table.  I need to trust that God has a purpose for me at whichever table He chooses to place me.

Amberly

No comments: