Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Road Less Traveled

Don't let the title fool you - I am not ABOUT to wax poetic.

Due to training for a triathlon, I have been riding a bike.  Not the Huffy 10-speed that I rode as an early teen, but a serious (what was I THINKING) road bike.  The kind that you shift.  The kind that you need to wear shoes that clip into the pedals.  The kind that you need the most unflattering yet expensive shorts you have ever purchased.  The kind that increases your prayer life because you are CERTAIN a crash is in your future.

I have learned a lot about the roads in my neighborhood.

The same roads that I drive everyday with no thought of an incline have proven to be MUCH more difficult on the bike.

In a car, one cannot possibly understand the gravity of poor paving, small shoulders of the road, and hills like one can as a bike rider.  Or a walker for that matter.  Sometimes, when jogging, I am shocked at how different the same road is when I am on my bike.

One cannot truly judge a road from the car.

One can also not judge another's life from a "drive-by" glance of their Facebook post, a quick "ride" through their past, or even a "trip" through the behavior of their children.

I am so thankful for the people in my life who have loved me enough to get out of their cars and off of their bikes long enough to walk alongside me and make my journey more joyful.

I am a better traveler because of them.

I hope I am a blessing in their journeys as well.

Journey on!

Amberly

No comments: