Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Be seated

I never thought I would say this aloud (or write it for others to mock), but I really enjoy the spin class I take twice a week.

Each Monday and Wednesday at 5:30 a.m. (yes, I typed that correctly.  For those of you who know me, this is a feat equal to the parting of the Red Sea that I am up that early.  On purpose.  On a regular basis.), I join a plethora of others as we bike to music.

Today, we tried something ghastly harrowing Satanic new.  We stayed seated the whole time.  No standing, no major adjustments.  Sitting.  The whole hour.

I thought my body was going to revolt. My instructor reminded the class that such an exercise is a mental game.  I was going mental alright.

I feel the same way about sitting still.  When Psalm 46:10 reminds me to "Be still and know that I AM God...", it seems like Chinese water torture for me to do so.

Then my instructor said that such activity is a healthy departure from the norm and challenges our bodies.  I was challenged alright.

I made it.  I survived the whole hour.

I cannot remember the last time I practiced being still with God.  I need to put that on the list of exercises to do this week.  However, I am hoping that "being still" does not mandate "being seated" because frankly, that is not happening today.

:) Have a great week!

Amberly

No comments: