Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gym nauseum

My daughter went with me to the gym today.  The is the first time she is old enough and willing to get up at 5 in the morning at the same time.

We both came home with red, sweaty faces and smiles.  When my husband asked about the workout, Judah spouted off all the stats: number of miles, number of calories, time, etc.

I said, "It was great to spend time together."

She tried to recover, "Yes, that too..."

She is not alone.  In fact, she came by it honestly.  Often times, we get caught up in the "stuff": the schedules, the task list, the calendar, the errands, the logistics, and the expectations.  We miss the relationship, the connection, and the opportunities that each moment holds.

Psalm 16:11 "You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

The logistics are not a bad thing, in fact, in the above verse, the Psalmist takes delight in the fact that God will provide some details, but the reader needs only read three verses before in Psalm 16 to understand how to gain perspective and balance: "I keep my eyes always on the LordWith him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." 

Going to the gym is good.  Burning calories is good.  Missing out on connection by valuing tasks over people (and God) is not so good.

Make it a great week and know that I am praying for you!

Amberly


No comments: