Saturday, September 7, 2013

Stuff

We are organizing a garage sale.

Our daughter is starting a long journey to raise money for a trip to Washington D.C. with her class.  Although she has 18 months to accomplish this, we are serious about making sure she gets to visit our Nation's Capital  for the second time.

I actually LOVE garage sales.  I love going to them, organizing them, and even holding them.  It is a sickness that has served me well over the years.  I have even helped others have successful ones.

The truth is, though, the older I get, the more I LOVE having one because it forces me to get rid of things.  I am kind of "done" with the clutter in my home. 

My husband and I are both visionaries.  We love projects.  We do not always love FINISHING said projects, which leaves us with miscellaneous junk.  Junk to be revisited SOMEDAY.

My family likes to read.  Books are our friends.  However, in too many cases, we have made an unusually long commitment to a "friend".  Or 1000.  Instead of letting someone else enjoy it, we keep them JUST IN CASE we want to revisit that friendship again. SOMEDAY.

I am ready to get rid of "stuff", but my husband struggles.  What if he needs that single use appliance SOMEDAY?  What if that article of clothing can be used for one of his shows SOMEDAY?

I do feel that way about some of my craft items.  Because I regret not having the time to "craft", I hold onto things for SOMEDAY.  SOMEDAY I will get back to scrapbooking.  SOMEDAY I will finish those crafting projects I began many moons ago.

Jesus had a lot to say about this in Matthew: 19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The translation: Do not prepare for SOMEDAY other than the SOMEDAY of Heaven.  Everything else fades.  Everything else disappoints.  Everything else can be stolen.  Or sold at a garage sale.

God's blessings on your TODAY.

Amberly
 

No comments: