Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Latin Lovers

Yesterday was awesome.

My 6th grade Spanish students, after weeks of preparation, were participants in what I called a Spanish Wax Museum.  Each student had chosen a famous Latino/ Latina from history, written and memorized a monologue about their person, and donned costumes and props.  They filled the gym with their energy, nervousness, and paraphernalia.

Their task was to stay "frozen" in place until someone pressed their name card.  Each then came to life, reciting their monologue and teaching the listener all about people ranging from Jennifer Lopez to Queen Isabella, Ponce de Leon to Cheech Marin, NBA players to Nobel Prize-winning chemists.  Almost fifty students were involved (including my daughter who was a famous Mexican chef) and they were amazing. I was blown away by their creativity and effort.

Weeks before, however, when choosing their "person", I asked them to do some research about the person to make sure he/she is someone worth studying; despite the fact that we all fail, was the person someone who made the world a better place because they were in it.  Ouch.  Due to some HUGE moral failures, some fell by the wayside.

We all fall short of the glory of God, but my question is: is the world a better place because I am here?  Do I give more than I take, love more than I disappoint, extend grace more than I forgot how much grace has been extended to me?  If 6th graders were assigned to "Loud Women with Big Hair Day", would my name be included among those whose lives are marked with benevolence?

I sure hope so.  I sure pray so.  I sure should live so.

!Bien viaje! (Good journey!)  Amberly

No comments: