Monday, January 27, 2014

Beyonce upon a time

I love Siri.

Siri is the "voice" of Apple products that serves to answer questions, be a "knowledge navigator", and be a source of entertainment.

One of my students has "taught" Siri to call her "Beyonce".  Her given name is Morgan, but her favorite singer inspires her so that she wants the digital personal assistant to call her by the star's moniker.

Although Siri addresses her correctly, when Morgan asks Siri "What is my name?", Siri says, "your name is Morgan, but you wish for me to call you Beyonce".

We can pretend we are someone we are not.

We can pretend that we are a famous singer, or a mom who has it all together, or part of a perfect marriage.  We can pretend and possibly fool others, but we cannot fool God.

He knows.  He knows our name.  He knows our desires.  He knows our disappointments. He knows our struggles.

And He loves us anyway.

I need to be reminded of that today.

I have called myself many names today: defeated, overeater, disappointment.

But He calls me "beloved daughter".

That is better than anything I could train Siri to call me.

Amberly





No comments: