Monday, January 6, 2014

Muscle Memory

Today is a big day.   My teaching schedule is in full swing: 8 Spanish classes, 1 Algebra class, and two University English classes.

But the class I am dreading is my Friday exercise class.  At 5:30 a.m.. about 15 women flock to the gym to be tortured humiliated strengthened.  We work on our abs, backsides, quads, shoulders, and core strength.  The strain of the early morning is eclipsed only by the strain of my body as it attempts to look coordinated.  Epic fail.

I have eaten loaves of bread that weigh more than most of the women in the class.  I provide the comic relief in hopes that the instructor does not notice my inability to perform all the tasks.  It never works.

I can feel my sore muscles for the rest of the weekend.  Sometimes, the soreness begins before I even make it to my car.  I often look like Yoda as I toddle to my vehicle.  Sore I Am.  Ridiculous I feel.

According to Elizabeth Quinn, exercise expert, such soreness is called "Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)... (which) is a normal response to unusual exertion and leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build hypertrophy."

Soreness is a normal, natural response to the development of strength.  We recognize it when discussing exercise, but why does it surprise us so in life?

When most people make resolutions, they fail to anticipate the DOMS of carrying new things, stretching budgets and calendars, and pushing back old habits.

I am hoping that someday,  I will not feel the pangs of soreness on Saturday mornings.    I hope my body grows accustomed to the class and does not wail in protest.  Or maybe not.  If I stop stretching myself, I may stop getting stronger.  As I strive to "Unleash Joy" in 2014, I must embrace the idea that struggle is an ally.

And speaking of struggles, happy Monday. :)

Amberly


No comments: