Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Science Not-So-Fair

Our daughter, Judah, completed her Science Fair project this week.

After much nagging, eye-rolling, scrapbook paper, cajoling, a trip to Home Depot, reminders, 3 glue sticks, two trips to Costco photo department, tears, and finally pride in watching her finish, the project was submitted yesterday.

Her project had a great premise: what type of music makes plants grow most quickly: jazz, classical, worship, silence, 80's, and Broadway tunes.

The plants were given equal amounts of sun, water, and time.

The result?  Worship and silence were the two highest achievers. 

Now, no one from "Science Fair Daily" called for an interview, but it turned out to be quite a project...and a lesson for me.

I grow most when I am listening to God's Word in music AND when I take time to just "be".  I do the first one well, but the second one is more painful than I can imagine.

If I try to be still, I TRY REALLY HARD to listen to God (I last about 6 minutes).  I then make a laundry list, start thinking of all the grading I have to do, fall asleep, and/or feel guilty that I do not sit still well.

I am a terrible listener and I am no better with God.  Ugh.

If I am going to "Unleash Joy", I should take more time to just "be still and know that He is God" (Psalm 46:10).

God's blessings on your day.  And on your stillness.

Amberly

No comments: