Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Java Minute?

I got a new coffeemaker.

I actually received it months ago, but my inner cheapskate could not cast my old one aside because it still works. But my family cajoled me into giving the new one a try.

My old machine makes 12 cups of coffee at a time.  Since I usually only drink one cup each morning, I would drink old coffee each afternoon and the subsequent days thereafter.  I would make iced coffee out of the "old coffee".  It might gross some out, especially java snobs, but I have been doing it this way for years.

My new maker makes one cup of coffee at a time.  I use the reusable filters so that I am not spending my kids' college fund in K-cups and I truly enjoy the fresh coffee (especially because I have started drinking coffee sans creamer).

I had grown accustomed to old coffee.  Unfresh coffee.  Yesterday's (or the day before's) coffee.

I do the same thing with time with God.

I rely on memories, old lessons, worn-out sermon notes, and experiences from days gone by when fresh and exciting time with Him is just a prayer away.

God prompts me in Isaiah 43:19 "Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

In order to "Unleash Joy" in 2014, I need to remember to stay thirsty for God and not settle for yesterday's portion.

Have a great week!

Amberly

No comments: