Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Side WALK

It all started with signs advertising a book sale.

The only thing that makes me salivate more than fresh baked bread is the idea of a book sale.  I love books.  My family loves books.  I find myself teetering between frustration and pride when I catch my kids, AGAIN, in the act of pretending to be asleep and instead, reading a good book.

So, you can imagine my giddiness at the idea of a book sale in my neighborhood.

I got up early on Saturday morning to go to the gym.  I thought I might work out and then come home, shower, and get ready before rousing the troops to join me for said book sale.

They were all up.  I changed my mind and suggested that I would jog to the book sale (2.25 miles away) and they could meet me there. 

It was a perfect plan.  I was almost out the door when my son asked if he could join me.  I agreed.  I knew he might slow me down (no disrespect intended; he is just eight), but I would not miss the chance to jog/ walk together.

We were about halfway there when he said, "I love this.  I really enjoy your company."

Wow.  I teared up before the words left his mouth.

We were almost there when he began to complain about his foot.  I offered to carry him (which I did), but soon grew weary.  We gingerly walked the last 1/4 mile.

When we arrived, my husband and daughter were standing over eight boxes of books.  That is all.  Eight boxes.  Small book boxes, mind you.  It took me longer to tie my shoes than it did to peruse the entirety of the collection.  Ugh.

My husband said, "Ooooh.  I knew you would be disappointed that you had traveled that distance and found only a measley number of books."

I was disappointed in the book sale, but not in the time.  Josiah and I really had a good time, talking about music, Harry Potter, Legos, calories, and God.  There was nothing monumental, just a slice of time to spend time with one another.

One might draw a parallel between that walk and a walk with Jesus.  I want to follow Jesus where He is going.  I want Him to carry me when I grow weary.  I want to enjoy His company and have Him enjoy mine.  I want to be less concerned about the destination and/or pay-off and more concerned with the connection.

 Such connection would be better than a book sale ANY DAY...

Blessings!  Amberly

No comments: