Monday, January 28, 2013

A picture is worth a thousand words

Weight Watchers is one of the plethora of choices for a dieting American.  It is based on a balance between education and accountability.  It is also $40 a month and time at meetings, which probably pays for spokesdieters Jessica Simpson and Valerie Bertinelli to get new jeans :)

Of course, such a fee is a small price to pay for new information, motivation, and tips for success.  That being said, I would rather spend $500 a year on something WAY more fun!

I have plenty of nutritional information.  Most "foodies" know more than enough about food and how to eat well, they just choose otherwise.  I know that portion control is my most powerful foe and going to food for anything other than nutrients is idolatry.

The thing I lack most is accountability.  I have wonderful friends in my life, but I do not want to make any of them the "bad guy".   So, I turned to my sister.  She lives far away, she loves me, and she is not afraid of confrontation.  She is the perfect choice.

We have decided that once a week, I will take a picture of my weight on the scale at the gym and send it to her.  Ugh.  Every Thursday morning, the consequences of my week's food consumption will be there for her to see.  I am tracking everything that I eat and drink.  I am praying for strength.  I am also dreading the idea of this week's picture.  Why? Because I hate numbers.

It is easy for me to remind to my kids and/or my students that their grades do not define them.  They are not more or less valuable in the eyes of God when a grade is assigned.  They are important because of who they are, not what they do. 

Why don't I remember that the same is true of me?  I am precious in the sight of God.  The only Numbers I need to concern myself with are the ones found in the Bible between Leviticus and Deuteronomy.  God loves me, unconditionally, no matter the numbers on my scale. 

I will let you know about my progress.  :)  Have a great week!

Amberly




No comments: