Monday, January 14, 2013

Happy Trails to you...

I understand, but I do not have to like it.

My sister, Allyson and I signed up to do the Tinkerbell Half Marathon together.   Last summer.  For months, the very IDEA that my thinner (and frankly, MUCH more athletic) sister would be walking/jogging/running this event has gotten me on the treadmill to train.  It has even inspired me to eat a bit better.

When she called two weeks ago to let me know she would not be coming, I feigned understanding.  I pretended not to be totally crushed.  I applaud her ability to set healthy boundaries, but I was am so hungry to see her, I did not feel like applauding.

The first big "wog" (walk/jog) I did after that, I prayed about my disappointment.  For the 12 miles I put on my feet that day, I shared my heart with God about the loss and was given the gift of feeling His presence on my journey.   Last week and this, I actually broke speed records (certainly not in the world, but in MY world) :)

I had never really "invited" God into my workouts.  Often times, I ask for His help or offer a quick prayer when I think I am going to die during a spin class.  I sometimes listen to Christian music when I am sweating and panting in spandex, but I never took the time to ask Him to join me in my process.

Although I mourn the loss of our time together, I am thankful that my sister loves me.  I am thankful for a sister who inspires me and encourages me.  I am thankful for a sister who is honest with me. I am thankful for a sister that "pushed" me out of bed these past months to train.  Mostly, I am thankful that through this experience, I have learned to enjoy God's companionship on the trail...

I have seven more days until the half marathon.  My Training Partner and I are ready :)

Happy trails to you.
Amberly


No comments: