Monday, August 19, 2013

Trophy Wife

Gail Hedgepeth is a professional engraver for decades.  She has done a myriad of engraving projects for clients including Richard Nixon and the organizers of the Wanamaker Trophy.

I read her story recently and was intrigued by the fact that such a profession would gain notoriety and the attention of Yahoo Sports and the world.  She is not an athlete.  She has not any won trophies for her work, as far as I can tell.

I loved earning trophies as a kid (although it did not happen often).  I would display them in my bedroom window so that any passersby would see my accomplishments.  Of course, no one ever applauded my prowess on the soccer field, softball diamond, or talent show stage by simply seeing the trophy, but it made me feel important nonetheless.  Those little gold-colored trophies with my name engraved on the plate on the base were treasured possessions.  My name is so unusual, having someone spell my name correctly was a gift in itself.

The Bible has much to say about trophies, rewards, and prizes.  One of my favorites is: Philippians 3:14 -"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I wish I could say I have outgrown the need for the accolades and trophies of this world (although I know I have not).  I want to indeed "press on toward the goal" to win the applause of Heaven.

And I know for a fact that my name will be spelled correctly :)

Blessings on your week.

Amberly

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--engraving-the-wanamaker-trophy-in-12-minutes-201146155.html

No comments: