Saturday, March 3, 2012

GRAVE condition

Well, Hamster #2 died.  Our beloved little furball, Cookies, went to the big exercise wheel in the sky.

When I came into the front room Thursday morning, I thought it odd that Cookies did not "greet" me with her regular squeaks when I turn on the light at 5:15 a.m. (believe me, I am squeaking at that hour, too).  I came home from the gym over an hour later to discover that she had not moved since I left.

Scott was already on his way to work, so I was forced to confirm that our favorite rodent had indeed passed.

I called Josiah into the kitchen where I "coached" him on being merciful  to his sister during her time of loss.  He is often so "matter of fact" that he says things that sound harsh, albeit truthful.  I asked him to think of something encouraging to say to his sister when I broke the news to her.

I asked Judah to join me in the front room.  I put my arms around her and broke the news.  She cried.  She REALLY cried.  Josiah asked if he could hug her.  I stood in awe of my great kids when they stood, holding tightly to one another..  It was a sight to behold, until Josiah spoke.

"Maybe we could get a guinea pig, Judah!  They last WAY longer than hamsters!"

I can learn a lot from kids about joy.  The reason that Josiah could have joy in that moment is that he found reason to rejoice in the POTENTIAL of TOMORROW.  He could see past the PAIN of TODAY, knowing that the possibility of something better was around the corner.

I should embrace the pain in my life knowing that God is using it to increase my potential.  THAT is the reason that Joy to Go, my newest campaign, is so important.  I want people to know that they do not labor (or suffer) in vain.  God uses such tools to change our perspective and focus on Him.

Jesus had joy on the cross.  Because He was comfortable?  Because It was an easy task?  Because He likes being beaten and mocked?  NO!  Because He knew about the POTENTIAL of TOMORROW.  He could endure the PAIN of that DAY because He knew the grave could not hold Him.  He knew that Joy is not based on present circumstances, but instead on trust in God.

Hebrews 12: 1-3 reminds me, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."


This week, I have felt a little (okay, A LOT) inadequate about teaching on Joy, but God continues to show me how He is faithful, even when I am not.


Today, I pledge to look at the POTENTIAL of TOMORROW, instead of the PAIN of TODAY.


And, no, we are not getting a guinea pig. :)


Amberly


P.S. Anyone who responds to this blog post by next Friday will be entered to win one of my favorite books from my collection.














2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Watch out! Next thing you know they'll be asking for a dog!

rbenavides said...

only with GOD! I can't imagine trying to navigate through this world alone. <3