Monday, January 9, 2012

Grin and Prayer It


My list of favorite activities does not include flossing my teeth.  It is often uncomfortable and frankly, gross.  I LOVE eating, but seeing that same food in small particles hours later plucked from my choppers is disconcerting.


But flossing is important.  It is an essential part of dental health and has links to heart health as well.


I wish I could say that I floss after every meal.  I don't.  Most of the time, I just "go through the motions", flossing because I know it is good for me.


When am I REALLY faithful to floss?  When there is a pending dental appointment.  When I know that some dental assistant is going to be in my mouth with a magnifying glass and a scrutinizing eye.  When I am afraid of disappointing my dentist.


My prayer life is similar.  Sometimes, I just "go through the motions" knowing that it is good for me.  I know prayer is vital to my growth and relationship to God.  Yet, sometimes, I just take enough time to get rid of the spiritual debris and no more.


The beautiful thing about the grace of God is that although I am not always faithful, He always is.  And just like flossing, prayer is good for my heart as well, even if my heart isn't always in it.


Amberly

No comments: